The 10 bartenders who will compete in this year’s prestigious Glenfiddich Malt Mastermind have been announced. The competition, which is now in its sixth year, will see some of the countries up and coming bartenders compete at the Glenfiddich Vaults at Voltaire bar in Central London on 14th September 2015.
The finalists will be asked to create their own signature serve using Glenfiddich 12 Year Old, Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Solera Vat or Glenfiddich 18 Year Old. They will also have to take part in a quick fire buzzer round which will test their knowledge on the complex world of whisky.
Judging the contest is UK brand ambassador, Mark Thomson, Kirsten Grant Meikle, a William Grant family member who is also Director of Prestige, William Grant & Sons UK, and Gary Sharpen, Editor of The Cocktail Lovers. Each contestant will be tested on their creativity, innovation, technique and presentation. Judges will also be looking for a cocktail that demonstrates an excellent balance of flavour.
Selecting our finalists has been extremely difficult. The standard has been higher than ever, which is a credit to the on-trade industry in the UK.
We are looking for a whisky maverick this year – someone who displays passion, knowledge and a modern style with a nod to tradition. It’s going to be a difficult one to judge but we have an esteemed panel on board who are well qualified to select a worthy winner.
– Mark Thomson: UK Brand Ambassador
The finalists are confirmed as:
· Kieron Hall, Bonbar, Newcastle upon Tyne,
· Aiden Page, Carmelite Hotel, Aberdeen
· Alix Nardella, Mission E2, London
· Manachain Monaghan, Monk Cocktail Bar, Buxton
· Dan Berger, Ace Hotel, London
· Bartosz Kowalski, Union Street Café, London
· Michael Cameron, Guy’s Restaurant & Bar, Glasgow
· Mark Barrett, Cringltie House, Edinburgh
· Nicholas Gilmour, The Tippling House, Aberdeen
· Stephen Rutherford, Orchid, Aberdeen
The bartender who is crowned this year’s Glenfiddich Malt Mastermind will win a VIP trip to the Glenfiddich distillery, the prestigious trophy and £1,000.
The Malt Mastermind 2015 winner will be announced on the 15th September.