The Irish Distillers family of prestige Irish Whiskeys has been awarded 10 gold or above medals at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition and International Spirits Challenge 2017. Top honours were awarded to Redbreast 15, Best Single Pot Still Whiskey and Best Irish Whiskey, and Midleton Very Rare, Best Blended Irish Whiskey, at the prestigious San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
In addition, Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength claimed its third Double Gold medal in a row at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition – a testament to the consistency in quality of Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey craftsmanship at the Midleton Distillery. The array of gold medals, around half of the 22 decorations awarded to Irish Distillers across the two prestigious tastings, cements Redbreast as the most awarded Single Pot Still Whiskey in the world.
Yellow Spot 12 Year Old followed up a near-perfect 99/100 points at the Ultimate Spirits Challenge with a Gold medal at the International Spirits Challenge, whereas Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy was honoured by the same competition with the sixth Gold medal since its release in 2011.
In total, the prestige range from Irish Distillers secured four Double Gold and six Gold medals across the San Francisco World Spirits Competition (SFWSC) and International Spirits Challenge (ISC):
· Redbreast 15 Year Old: Best Irish Whiskey, Best Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey and Double Gold medal (SFWSC)
· Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength: Double Gold medal (SFWSC)
· Midleton Very Rare: Best Blended Irish Whiskey and Double Gold medal (SFWSC)
· METHOD AND MADNESS Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey Finished in Chestnut: Double Gold medal (SFWSC)
· Midleton Dair Ghaelach: Gold medal (SFWSC)
· Redbreast 21 Year Old: Gold medals (SFWSC and ISC)
· METHOD AND MADNESS Single Malt Irish Whiskey Enhanced with French Limousin Oak: Gold medal (SFWSC)
· Yellow Spot: Gold medal (ISC)
· Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy: Gold medal (ISC)
We are delighted with the continued success of Redbreast and the breadth of Midleton’s prestige Irish Whiskey family in global spirit tasting competitions – our whiskeys continue to achieve great things and we are incredibly proud of them. The quality of our whiskeys is testament to the hard work and dedication of the production team at Midleton Distillery, past and present.
Lest we forget the skilled distillers and blenders that laid down and observed these whiskeys mature over the years, in the hope that they would be enjoyed years later – it’s great to see that they certainly are being enjoyed!
– Billy Leighton: Head Blender at the Midleton Distillery, County Cork
Now in its 17th year, the San Francisco World Spirits Challenge is one of the most influential spirits competitions in the world and is judged by a line-up of esteemed drinks journalists, producers and experts. Run each year in partnership with respected drinks trade bible, Drinks International, the International Spirits Challenge is one of the most authoritative and influential spirits competitions in the world and celebrates its 22nd anniversary this year.