A bottle of whisky from Gordon & MacPhail’s Rare Vintage Range, Strathisla 1970, has become one of the highest scoring whiskies in the 2011 “Malt Maniacs” Awards.
Despite almost 200 entries, the Gordon & MacPhail Strathisla 1970, bottled at 43%, was among only eight whiskies to achieve a gold medal, 90 points, and was also the winner of the ‘Thumbs Up’ award for most exciting new release of the year in that price category.
Malt Maniacs, which is in its ninth year, say theirs is “probably the world’s most independent whisky competition and perhaps the most gruelling!”
Michael Urquhart, Joint Managing Director of Gordon & MacPhail, said: “To be awarded a gold medal and Thumbs Up award ahead of another 171 fine whiskies is a wonderful achievement. The Strathisla 1970 is testament to our approach for matching the right type of cask to this particular whisky.”
Strathisla 1970 is a robust and moreish after dinner dram with a nice depth and complexity, which display hint of festive spices, almonds and a burst of stewed fruits. Smooth and very enjoyable
The “Malt Maniacs” award is the latest accolade for the whiskies from Gordon and MacPhail. Their Miltonduff 1969 also walked away with a silver award at the Scottish Field Whisky Challenge which was held in November.
You can buy Strathisla Malt Whisky from:-
- The Whisky Exchange
- Master of Malt
- Edencroft Fine Wine & Spirit Specialists
- Abbey Whisky
- The Drink Shop
- Whisky Online
About Gordon & MacPhail:
· Gordon & MacPhail is an independent, family-owned spirit and wine merchant who have been based in Elgin, Moray, since 1895. Four generations of the Urquhart family have continued the tradition of seeking out the
best and rarest Scotch whiskies.
· Since its founding, Gordon & MacPhail’s policy has been to send casks to distilleries throughout Scotland, fill them with ‘new make’ spirit and mature them either at the distillery of origin or in the firm’s own bonded warehouses
· Now one of the world’s leading malt whisky specialists, Gordon & MacPhail exports to more than 55 countries. It offers more than 300 presentations of own-bottled Single Malts. In 2009, Gordon & MacPhail was awarded the prestigious
Queens Award for Enterprise in International Trade.
· In 1993 the company purchased Benromach Distillery in nearby Forres. After extensively re-equipping the distillery over a five year period, Benromach was officially opened by HRH Prince Charles in October 1998. The award winning range
includes Benromach 10 Years Old and Benromach Organic – the world’s first single malt to be fully certified by the Soil Association.