The The SMWS “New Wave” releases are a celebration of new whisky distilleries with illustrations by Bob Dewar, the artist who was instrumental in defining The Society look when started 40 years ago and whose artwork still adorns the ceiling of The Society’s spiritual home at The Vaults in Leith!
The ‘New Wave’ celebrates new distilleries and hidden gems – it’s a symbol of everything that the SMWS is all about.
This is a release of 10 bottles for markets around the world (4 to be released in the UK/EU), selected from three of the UK’s newest distilleries and all illustrated by the Society’s original illustrator, Bob Dewar, to marry up that original spirit with a new wave of bottles.
Trying new whiskies has always been part of the endless discovery journey for Society members, and that’s as true today as it has ever been. The ‘New Wave’ is a look forward, with an interpretation of flavour by our old master, Bob Dewar, on each bottle label.
The distilling scene is vibrant and it’s a pleasure to work with distilleries old and new.
All of these releases are from our new make fillings programme, so we’ve seen them develop from day one and are delighted to see these releases with the artwork of a key figure in the Society’s history.
– Euan Campbell: SMWS Head of Whisky Creation
The SMWS “New Wave” Whiskies
About The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
• The Scotch Malt Whisky Society was established in Edinburgh in 1983 and has 37,000 members around the world.
• It is owned by The Artisanal Spirits Company (ASC) plc
• The SMWS bottles rare single cask and single malt whisky, exclusive blends and a range of other Single Cask Spirits.
• The Society has bottled whisky from 180 distilleries from Scotland and beyond
• The Society offers a new batch of around 20 different single malt whiskies every month
• Members have access to four exclusive SMWS Members’ Rooms in Leith, Edinburgh, Glasgow and London along with a global network of 100 partner bars.
• The Society offers a variety of membership options that can be tailored.
• For more information about the Society, visit: https://smws.com/, Twitter: @SMWSUK Facebook: @thesmwsuk Instagram: @smws_uk
About The Artisanal Spirits Company (ASC)
• The Artisanal Spirits Company (ASC) plc is based in Edinburgh
• The Artisanal Spirits Company (ASC) plc is building a portfolio of premium brands that bring together some of the world’s best spirits producers with a growing movement of discerning consumers by curating unrivalled collections of craft spirits.
• ASC owns The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) and in 2021 it launched J.G. Thomson & Co. Inspired by its namesake, which was originally a wine and spirits merchant in Leith, Scotland, in the 1700s, J.G. Thomson is a new, adventurous blender, creating small batch blended malt whiskies, blended grain whiskies, rum and gin.